New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,972
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 29, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

Ha ha ha!!

Got ya!!!

I was hoping you would chime in here on this topic; you may recall, what perhaps, two or so years ago a rather long thread and a long exchange with me on the ins and outs of the Quantum gear in comparison to speedlites and the wonderful comparison images you did of the Quantum gear lighting up a Lastolite Ezybox compared to a speedlite. That was one of the best educations in lighting I ever received.

Regards,

plevyadophy

Thanks, the softbox thing was quite interesting from both our perspectives I think.

I still prefer the QPAQ's in the 400Ws configuration.. if you're going to have the inconvenience of a battery, you might as well have some benefit with it. A kit of 400Ws units will cope with most things inside or outside, the smaller 80Ws or 160Ws are better equipped for internal use. Outside, you don't trick bright sunlight too easily so you really do need the output.

The CoPilot isn't a 'deformed mushroom shape' - it's more of a 'Stealth bomber' and will control the Trio, T5d-R's or X5d-R's in Manual or TTL mode. It looks like this:

CoPilot Controller

If you need Auto control you do need a deformed mushroom shaped controller - a Pilot. (or a Trio flash, or a T5d-R/X5d-R set up as a controller with a transmitter and 'D' adapter). A pilot looks like this:

Neither of the Pilot/CoPilot controller options would interfere with a right-eyed shooter.. theres no cables required. The Pilot does have an external battery capability, but it runs quite happily on 4 AA's.

If you set your remotes to 'Auto' and set the ISO manually you can use the Pilot just to trigger these in the settings you made, (or any of the Quantum transmitters) but no changes from camera position. With the Pilot, the Auto facility will track your camera aperture and ISO changes and change remote outputs accordingly.

'Same Old' with the 400Ws power packs. The capacitors are in the packs rather than the heads, making the heads lighter. The QPAQ's only power the X heads because of this. Alternatively, Lumedyne packs can power Quantum X heads too with either the Quantum socket fitted or an adapter cable.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow