How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,037Gear list
Like?
Re: How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?
In reply to M. Mitchell, Apr 29, 2013

M. Mitchell wrote:

I spent yesterday shooting landscape and flower pictures with my Nex 6 and Rx100. I noticed something about shooting with each camera that is not mentioned in this discussion. Using my Nex6, I had to stop down to f/16 or even f/22 to attain the depth of field that I had at f/4 or f/ 5.6 with my RX100. In landscape photography I prefer a very wide depth of field keeping every thing sharp from closeup to infinity.  This required that I use a slower shutter speed with the Nex6, resulting at times with an unsharp photo. I had no unsharp photos with the higher shutter speeds of the RX100.

The day was slightly windy. Because I could use a faster shutter speed with the RX100, I could only use that camera for the flower pictures.

Are you surprised? The RX-100 has a 10.4-37.1mm lens. The NEX-6 has a 16-50mm. OF COURSE you have to stop down a longer lens to get the same DOF of a shorter focal length lens.

Let's make the test fair. Take the lens off the RX-100 and put my 11-16mm Tokina on both cameras. Then we can compare apples to apples.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow