New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to UKphotographers, Apr 29, 2013

The Godox has some interesting features, but to try and compare it to a Quantum with its capability of Manual, Auto, TTL, remote ratio and an integrated radio system controlling a range of 80Ws-400Ws is only a comparison of the skin and not the substance. In fact, many of the reviews of the Godox rely on Quantum accessories to 'do' stuff, or extend capabilities to suit requirements.

The Godox does have a remote control/triggering system? No, it isn't TTL but if you have to have TTL, then Quantum isn't your only choice. Personally, I would rather build a speedlight system for TTL, but that's me. I don't see any problem using flash modifiers developed for the QFLash? There is an entire industry of speedring adapters to accommodate various modifiers on various lights.

Ugly triggering units? Well thats a reason to not use them for sure. The CoPilot is quite pretty, controls 3 groups, incorporates a radio transmitter, TTL or Manual and is smaller, less ugly and more practical than a TT1 and AC3.... and has a focus assist as well. Then, what other radio system does this with the same mode variation and output range? Also, what other system provides a flash with built-in radio controller to control other remote (higher powered) flash as well?

This all hinges on TTL. Take TTL out of the equation and the possibilities are endless. Or, leave TTL in and choose to use dedicated flash systems from Nikon or Canon or whatever you shoot. For me TTL isn't worth the roughly $600 premium Quantum charges (Cheetahstand/Godox kit for $670 or B&H Flash kit for something in the range of $1300). Or maybe we take the battery pack out of the equation since it looks like the Godox will power the QFlash (!). The T5D is roughly the same power as the CL-180, for almost $300 more money (more yet to add TTL!). And then TTL isn't all of that to begin with. Sure, for run and gun event situations, I use TTL all the time. But for complicated light set ups I would never consider using TTL as I don't know what each light is going to fire at.

'Cheap' is the hook with the Godox. 'Better' is delusion. If - Manual only - rocks your boat and you can be certain that it will fulfil your every requirement in every situation, then you'll be fine. Lumedyne and Norman are Manual only and would be cheaper, but having had those systems and discovered their limitations I chose to use Quantum instead.

I am not sure any of us ever said "better". As a matter of fact, I said the Elinchrom system wins hands down in every category except price. And I think it's a good thing to have choices. If I were starting from scratch today, my TTL system would undoubtably be Nikon flash units. For starters, I love being able to use AA batteries to power my flashes. Yes, I use external power quite often, but in a pinch I don't need a $450 battery pack to power my light (not to mention that $450 SC pack from Quantum only uses 8 AA batteries). With everything self-contained, I can put my flash anywhere I want. And I do, often using a justin clamp. I didn't have that freedom with my QFlahes, the battery had to go somewhere! And before the Godox battery, powering a QFlash was nothing short of a joke (seriously... a $450 battery back that uses 8 AA batteries?). My 2nd flash system would be based on the power I need. At which point both shoe mount flashes and 400ws Rangers aren't enough!

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow