Question for X100s owners that also have a DSLR : AF

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hoefie
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Question for X100s owners that also have a DSLR : AF
In reply to Hoefie, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks to all for your replies.

My idea was to buy an X100s to compliment my DSLR kit when casual shooting with the kids. But I want something light and still have top quality (not iphone or P&S quality).

I will keep my DSLR and my top lenses for the "real" stuff and when I need it technically: eg. portraits with subject isolation, fast AF in low light, indoors, etc... you know what I mean...

The lenses I have for my DSLR are all f1.4 or f2.8; and some of them have really fast AF.

My intent is NOT to replace my DSLR kit; I am almost certain that at one point in the future I will upgrade to a full frame DSLR, so it will be even heavier!

However, sometimes I feel that the moment deserves that I carry something light to be able to enjoy the moment with my kids.

I was the other day with the 2 kids (age 2 and 4) in the park and they were on a pony ride. I was lugging a 17-55mm 2.8 lens on my DSRL (and in my bag I had a 85 1.4 and a 70-200mm); you can imagine the weight !

On that moment I really wanted something like the X100s.

Another example: in 2 months I will go 2 days to Disneyland in Paris; I believe the X100s will be the camera type I would like to have with me...

Even if I do know that the AF will not be the same as with my DSLR and high quality lenses, I am not sure if the X100s will be sufficient to keep track of my 2 little monsters...

On the other hand, I believe that 90% of the use of the X100s will be done outdoors during day trips or just walking in the park, the zoo, etc...

For indoor use, and other occasions such as longer holidays with sightseeing, portrait sessions, important events, I really don't mind to carry and use my DSLR kit.

The X100s is an expensive camera, and it would really be difficult for me to maybe realize that I will be disappointed by the purchase of it due to the not usable for my needs slower AF.

The best thing to do would be to test it; however I cannot find it anywhere in Belgium to test.

Sorry for the long post and my bad English writing; and thank you all for your upcoming feedback.

Kind regards from Belgium.

Hoefie's gear list:Hoefie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow