Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I get the Oly 75mm?
In reply to Rjansenbr2, Apr 29, 2013

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Probably there is someone in the same situation.

I have an OM-D and have been using the 45mm 1.8 as a portrait lens. I really like it, but now wonder if I should also get the Oly 75mm.

My concern is if it will really make a night and day difference in comparison with the 45mm, specially in terms of shallow DOF and overall quality for portraits (mainly of my newborn daughter, who is now the inevitable model of all my pics). Do you think the FOV is too awkward?

After all, the USD 900 price tag isn´t that cheap for family photos...

Anyone has experience with both lenses?

I have both and highly recommend both. But I didn't buy the 75 because it would give me noticeably better portraits than the 45. The 45 works better for head-and-shoulder portraits indoors in an ordinary room. The 75 is too long for that. You need a hall rather than a room or to be outdoors.

But whenever you need/want to shoot at such a distance that the 45 gives insufficient magnification, the 75 fits the bill, e.g., stage performances of any kind or stealthy street shooting. When you really want/need to maximize background blur, it is also superior to the 45. While DoF is roughly the same at the same magnification, the longer FoV means you magnify the background more, which in turn makes it appear more blurred.

Anders, thanks for the input. How far from the subject you have to be for a head and shoulds shot with the 75mm?

We're talking three to four meters. With your newborn daughter, you'd be able to go closer but I think you would usually be better off with the 45 even for her. Once she starts to toddle around outdoors, the 75 will come in handy though.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow