Which "enthusiast" compact camera with shallow depth of field and good video recording?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tomas2013
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Which "enthusiast" compact camera with shallow depth of field and good video recording?
Apr 29, 2013

Hello,

I'm going to buy a compact camera for travelling. My main requirements are:

Quality photos
Good video recording
Shallow depth of field (good bokeh)
Cheaper than Sony RX100 (this is just a price indicator, RX100 is "ineligible" due to the optical/digital zoom transition issue during video recording)

My current candidates are Lumix LX-7, Canon G15, Olympus XZ-2, Pentax MX-1 (and perhaps Nikon P7700, but I prefer shorter lens, or Nikon P330, but given the price tag I'm not convinced it could deliver the same/comparable results as those above).

At the moment I'm considering Panasonic Lumix LX-7 which technically seems to have good videos, but I don't know how well it performs in terms of bokeh. Also, I saw some video samples and it seemed to me that e.g. Canon models manage the changing aperture/light better (no sudden change of brightness, but rather dynamic) - but maybe that was just a matter of the sample. Secondly, in the sample photo gallery here on dpreview, for example the playcard detail seems to be less sharp than the one produced by Canon G15 - not sure how critical that is in real-life use though.

(Please note that I do not need a full DSLR camera or a compact with additional lenses as I already have Pentax K10D for advanced photography; here I am looking for something that is small, with good bokeh and good video so I can get quality non-blinking videos and when I decide to make a portrait or a 10 cm distance detailed photo, the background will not disturb the scene. I understand that bokeh will not be as great as with DSLRs, but still there are better and worse compacts for this.)

Any hints are much appreciated!

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K10D Pentax MX-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow