Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rjansenbr2
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I get the Oly 75mm?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 29, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Probably there is someone in the same situation.

I have an OM-D and have been using the 45mm 1.8 as a portrait lens. I really like it, but now wonder if I should also get the Oly 75mm.

My concern is if it will really make a night and day difference in comparison with the 45mm, specially in terms of shallow DOF and overall quality for portraits (mainly of my newborn daughter, who is now the inevitable model of all my pics). Do you think the FOV is too awkward?

After all, the USD 900 price tag isn´t that cheap for family photos...

Anyone has experience with both lenses?

Regards

I haven't used either lens but the initial advice would be to try some framing using the 40-150mm set at 75mm or the 14-42mm set at 37~38mm and 2x digital tele converter on. That way you would get a feel for how far back you need to be for the framing wanted. Try that on both your daughter and some adults.

Longer lenses tend to put you back "out of touch" with the subject, particularly if there's other people and distractions around.

Regards.... Guy

Great idea! I'll test with the 2x digital zoom.

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow