Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
Re: Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO
In reply to arie, Apr 29, 2013

arie wrote:

I too really like the 100-300. It's a surprisingly good lens for the money, and it's really light too. I've never used a lense band before. I assume it's an elastic things that you put over the front.

The Lens Band is a silicone rubber band (similar to a silicone wristband) that you place overlapping the fixed and turning portions of the lens barrel to prevent or reduce zoom creep.  It's more durable and aesthetically pleasing than using a rubber band.

See http://lensband.com/

I use one on both my CZ 16-80 and my 100-400 APO.  My 100-300 APO D does not creep.  Neither does my Sony 18-250, but I sometimes put an orange Lens Band on it just to make it look sexy!    Even sexier is using my green Heineken wristband, which is almost identical in size to the Lens Band.

Another use I discovered for a Lens Band is holding the clear filter tightly in place on my Minolta 500mm reflex after the flimsy plastic spring knob broke off.  Not sure it was necessary, but I added a couple small strips of velcro to the inside of the Lens Band to make it fit slightly tighter over the lens barrel where the filter inserts.  Problem solved.

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIF?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow