More questiona about the a77 and a99

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Deven-D7
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: More questiona about the a77 and a99
In reply to JusLookN, Apr 29, 2013

Here is another take. If you are somewhat committed to the A mount, I would be collecting lenses over camera bodies. I have been with Minolta for the last 20 years and over the years have been collecting some of the better Minolta/sony lenses. I have the Minolta 200G and 85G lenses for years and recently got the Zeiss 24-70, and the sony 100mm f2.8 macro. I have the KM 17-35 'kit' lens that came with the KM 7D. Lenses last for decades.

With that being said, the A77 with a fast prime (85, 135, or even 200) will probably be cheaper than the A99 with a variable zoom for those indoor low light situations. The A99 will trump the ISO performance of the A77 if using the same lenses, but there is no substitute for faster glass. Spend more money on the lens, and less on the body. The A99 is almost 3 times the price of the A77 (sure the deal with the grip and flash is nice, if you need those accessories), but for more situations, I prefer the reach of the crop sensor over the wide angle of the FF. Some people would argue, why buy FF lenses for crop sensors, and I agree, but I plan on getting a FF camera, so I want a universal lens for the A mount.

I have been more than satisfied with the picture/video that I get in indoor low light auditorium settings (my daughters dance recitals) with the A77. I have been itching for the Sony 70-200 f2.8 zoom, but with the 50, 85, and 200 primes, I have a hard time justifying the need (the convenience of the zoom is better than changing lenses). That is why I have been more interested in the Zeiss 135 f1.8.

Who knows what the next generation of camera's might be (4K video, mirrorless, etc), but they will all use the same lenses. The recent Sony event a few weeks ago, showed a glimpse of the future with some pictures of prototypes, but the background was surrounded by the Zeiss and Sony G lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow