New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,952
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 29, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

John Deerfield wrote:

Hi Pal,

Thanks for your contribution

Compared to a QFlash system, I think this system wins hands down (it doesn't hurt that I have thought that Quantum has been robbing us blind for years).

I too have always thought that the QFlash system was excessively priced (and I am drawing a distinction between "expensive" which can often be justified, and "excessive). And I, being a bit girlie and therefore like my kit to look good, have also thought that their flash triggering units are somewhat big clunky and ugly.

However, they do have that massive advantage of being able to link in with your TTL system (provided you are shooting Canon, Nikon or Olympus).

The Godox has some interesting features, but to try and compare it to a Quantum with its capability of Manual, Auto, TTL, remote ratio and an integrated radio system controlling a range of 80Ws-400Ws is only a comparison of the skin and not the substance. In fact, many of the reviews of the Godox rely on Quantum accessories to 'do' stuff, or extend capabilities to suit requirements.

Ugly triggering units? Well thats a reason to not use them for sure. The CoPilot is quite pretty, controls 3 groups, incorporates a radio transmitter, TTL or Manual and is smaller, less ugly and more practical than a TT1 and AC3.... and has a focus assist as well. Then, what other radio system does this with the same mode variation and output range? Also, what other system provides a flash with built-in radio controller to control other remote (higher powered) flash as well?

'Cheap' is the hook with the Godox. 'Better' is delusion. If - Manual only - rocks your boat and you can be certain that it will fulfil your every requirement in every situation, then you'll be fine. Lumedyne and Norman are Manual only and would be cheaper, but having had those systems and discovered their limitations I chose to use Quantum instead.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow