Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,959Gear list
Like?
Re: You say, "An f-stop is an f-stop...
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 29, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

An f-stop is an f-stop, a shutter speed is a shutter speed, and an ISO is an ISO (although various manufacturers fudge the latter a little just as in the old days the film manufacturers fudged things a little in respect of sensitivity). So f2 @ 1/200 with a 25mm focal length lens on m43 produces an image of near enough to the same density and general characteristics as f2 @ 1/200 with a 50mm on FF.

...a shutter speed is a shutter speed, and and ISO is an ISO."  But apparently you stop short of focal length.  That is, you didn't say "A focal length is a focal length."

I find that omission curious.

That is, just as the effect of 25mm on mFT has the same effect as 50mm on FF, the effect of f/2 on mFT has the same effect as f/4 on FF.  And yet you feel "an f-stop is an f-stop" but apparently don't think that "a focal length is a focal length".

Like I said -- curious.

Oh, don’t be a silly Bustard! The curious thing is that you have written the non sequitur above.

The effect of focal length was implicit in what I wrote -- such as 45mm (90mm equiv).

The primary effect of focal length is viewing angle and perspective. Hence m43 45 is 35mm 90 equivalent. The aperture doesn't come into it.

DoF? Now there is where aperture matters. I’ll worry about that when I want to but basically I'm not a razor thin DoF photographer.

Total light on the sensor? In practical terms, what nonsense. As I said in my post, we went through all that stuff 50 years ago when 35mm was the small format barbarian hammering at the gates. What we want is correct exposure in our given sensor size.

For that m43 f2 25mm is equivalent to FF f2 50mm.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow