D600 autofocus

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
GregF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Re: D600 autofocus
In reply to StreetIsNeat, Apr 29, 2013

I'm not a street shooter but I do shoot a lot of movement, including kids, motocross, radio-controlled models; each of these are challenging in their own ways.

I have found, as a relatively new D600 user, that I can't always shoot wide open depending on the subject size and distance.  I do have to pay attention to my aperture in some cases to make sure I get the range of focus I need.

After that, for movement I typically use AF-C single or 9-point.  There is one particular menu setting for street shooting you should fiddle with.  There is an AF tracking setting in the autofocus menu that adjusts the delay before the focus will lock onto a new subject distance after a previous lock.  If you set this to "OFF", the AF will always immediately adjust to the subject on the current active focus point.  I think this is better for street shooting and journalistic stuff where you need to have instant response to subjects of varying distances.

EDIT:  The above AF tracking is applicable while you continue to "half-press" the shutter (or keep the AEL assigned as AF-ON pressed); if you release and re-'half-press' the shutter, you will get instant focus on the active point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow