Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,454
Like?
Not really.
In reply to Timmbits, Apr 29, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

The camera designers recently commented on this and stated that the large elements are part of the cause.

If this were true, there would be no fast-focusing FF cameras, because those elements are even larger.  It's quite a lame excuse for poor engineering.  You shouldn't believe everything a company says just to put a positive marketing spin on a flawed product.

No, I was specifically talking about the elements forming the focusing groups. Large aperture lenses for DSLR's and most mirrorless cameras usually have a special focusing group that is made smaller to help focus speeds.

In fact, the elements are 10 times heavier than those found in the Sony SEL 35mm F1.8, 24mm F2 and 50mm F1.8.

And I can tell from experience  with the inner guts of  my large aperture DSLR lenses, that they have the focusing groups in the rear, using smaller elements with less mass and more moving space.

To keep the lens as small as possible without compromising optical quality, the RX1 also has one motor drive to operate 2 focus groups and the aperture blades.

And the fact that DSLR's are faster is obviously helped by PDAF to begin with.

Don't assume you know better without facing the specific design challenges.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ok..New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow