New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to CraigBennett, Apr 29, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

I have also been thinking about the Alien Bee B1600, the Vagabond Mini™ Lithium and Pocketwizard AC9 to go with my FlexTT5/MiniTT1 stuff I already have.  Seems to be a very cost effective approach for a portable and fairly high powered flash solution.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Craig, I actually have a VML and a Bee 1600 and an AC9 (though I shoot Elinchrom, lots of my friends shoot with Bees ... I got a used Bee in a trade for an SB800 and the VML at first for my 600 RXs). I haven't done a whole lot with the AC9  in part because I've loaned my 1600 and the VML to one of the aforementioned friends. But another frend has had trouble with the AC9 and the Flex units -- though I think he's been able to bump the power one stop up or two stops down. Still, you'll need two Bees to put out the same power as one big Ranger pack.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow