New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,082
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to John Deerfield, Apr 29, 2013

"I think I would have to disagree with you here. Because if you look real closely at what the Godox kit has to offer in the way of light-shapers and accessories I don't think it's really much different to that of the Elinchrom kit and as far as I am aware"

I might suggest taking a closer look at Elinchrom. Indeed, one reason a photographer may choose Elinchrom over another brand would be because of the various light modifiers. The ability to shape the light. A quick pick at reflectors alone show that there are 15 different reflectors. For many of us this probably won't matter as the "standard" reflector is all we need. But there is no doubt that there are more modifiers for the Elinchrom.

"(although I do recall coming across complaints about the weakness of the Quadra when it comes to supporting heavier/larger modifiers"

I haven't heard that, but then again, I don't really follow Elinchrom. The flip side of that coin is that there isn't going to be any type of discussion whatsoever on the Godox light "mounting" system. It's almost goes without saying that the Godox light isn't meant for a heavy light modifier; unless you rig the modifier to be hold separate from the light.

On another note, I do use the Paul Buff system, only I MUCH prefer the Einstein over the Alien Bee. Especially with the Flex system. The Einstein uses the PW MC2 that I like better over using another Flex (more expensive) and AC9 adapter on the Alien Bee. An Einstein and a Vagabond mini is a powerful combination. Although many of the arguments about the Elinchrom still apply to the Buff/Elinchrom comparison. Build quality of the Buff stuff (with perhaps the exception of the White Lightings) isn't comparable to the Elinchrom build quality. Nor do you have the range of modifiers (although more than the Godox!). And the Buff mount (Balcar) IS a lightweight mount system. Indeed, the fact that I use the Einstein/Flex is one reason I am not jumping out of my skin waiting for the more powerful Godox. I sold off all my Quantum stuff to move over to the Einstein outfit. However, I do like the idea of the Godox light over my SB flashes in a variety of situations, primarily indoor event and bouncing off a wall: the more power the better in a system quite a bit smaller/lighter than a monolight.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow