More questiona about the a77 and a99

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoxanneY
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
Re: More questiona about the a77 and a99
In reply to cplunk, Apr 29, 2013

cplunk wrote:

What sort of focal length are you using from those seats and have you considered a prime lens?

There will be considerable difference between f1.8 and f2.8, but the depth of field can also become an issue if you aren't far enough away to focus out near infinity.  Sony's DT 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8 are pretty solid choices if that focal length can work for you.  They are also much lighter and more compact that any f2.8 zoom.

On my A77 I used to be very careful whenever I started to push the ISO past 1600. Really even at 1600 with a dark scene you can start to see noise creeping up.  I haven't had nearly as much experience with my A99 but it does seem to push that limit up a lot higher.

The other thing I've begun to find really useful is auto ISO in manual mode, so that I can force the aperture wide open, select a minimum shutter speed and let the camera choose the ISO to complete the exposure. On my A77 and previous Sony cameras, I would have to either choose ISO in M mode and change with light, or use aperture priority with Auto ISO and just have hope the shutter wasn't too slow. (it often was).

Hi Cplunk!

Thanks for taking the time to write. The focal length was 90mm and taken at 1600 with my 550alpha.  I am guessing that with my a77 I'd be able to take a similar picture.

I have a 50mm f1.8 and I love it for portraits.  The group I'm shooting is huge...about 120 people so a wide angle lens might be nice.  I was thinking the 16-50 might work??

I really need to learn more about how to adjust my settings.  I usually just use the programmed settings.

Roxanne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow