Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
arie
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
Re: Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO
In reply to Kzoozoomer, Apr 29, 2013

Kzoozoomer wrote:

I have them both plus the 100-300 APO D.  I prefer the 100-400 APO over the 500 reflex both for image quality and for focal length flexibility, and I had good results with it handheld on a trip to Alaska.  That said, the 100-400 APO is fairly large and heavy, and I much prefer my 100-300 APO D for general travel.  The 100-400 APO's bokeh is okay but can suffer under certain busy backgrounds.  Also, the lens sometimes hunts a lot trying to AF, occasionally requiring me to switch the camera on and off to get it to focus.  As for zoom creep, this was easily solved for me with the use of a Lens Band.

I too really like the 100-300. It's a surprisingly good lens for the money, and it's really light too. I've never used a lense band before. I assume it's an elastic things that you put over the front.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIF?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow