Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Why Micro AF Adjustment is...
Apr 29, 2013

I have, over the years, done every way of testing and calibrating my gear and have always been left baffled by weird and inconsistent results doing micro AF.  Things like +5 and -5 giving the same results which makes no sense.  This is with 3 different camera bodies over the years (7D, 5D MIII and 6D) and many lenses.  I've done the test charts, objects in a slanted line and most importantly, real-world shooting of the same subjects with adjustments as I go.  I usually just give up each time I try.  Today, I finally realized that the results depend totally on what the exact distance is and if you find a +5 at 3 feet works repeatably on a front-focusing situation, move just a few inches closer or farther and it totally changes!  Maybe it's supposed to be this way, and if so, I give up.  I have a really good eye and know what I am seeing and it's always just been consistently inconsistent.  Most people probably don't look as close as I do, but really, spot-on isn't impossible if Canon were calibrating everything right.  My Sony equipment never is off no matter old or new lenses.  Ok, I just had to vent!  Bill

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow