Monitor Calibration

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,112Gear list
Like?
Re: Monitor Calibration
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 29, 2013

Just adding to what the others have said:

• Most important thing is to calibrate/profile the monitor.  I currently use a ColorMunki Display, but that doesn't profile printers
  • To match prints, you need print profiles (for the printer and paper you are using).  If you use paper for which the manufacturer (of the paper) provides profiles for that printer, then they may be fine.  For best results, create your own printer profiles (I don't do that), but you tend to need the more expensive versions of the ColorMunki or Spyder to profile prints.  If you use ink other than the printer maker's then you probably need your own profiles. 
  • Most important issue in matching monitor to prints: set the monitor brightness down to a sensible level.  Depending on room brightness that will generally be 80-100 cd/m2, but almost certainly no more than 120.  If the screen is too bright then by comparison prints look dull, dark and lifeless.  Most current calibration devices will measure the brightness. 

If anyone tells you that colour management is simple, then either they have a brain the size of a planet or (IMHO) they don't know what they're talking about.  However, with a bit of reading it makes more sense.  I wrote a cheat sheet at http://www.simongarrett.co.uk/ColourManagementCheatSheet.htm and at the bottom I've included a lot of links to sites and sources of information I've found useful.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow