New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,016
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 29, 2013

Compared to a QFlash system, I think this system wins hands down (it doesn't hurt that I have thought that Quantum has been robbing us blind for years).

Compared to the Elinchrom 400ws Ranger system, the Godox wins in the price category, which is a good category to win! But the Elinchrom wins everywhere else. Lets add a few more things to your list:

- build quality. The Elinchrom stuff is simply some of the best in its class when it comes to build quality. This isn't so much as a "put-down" of the Godox light as much as it is a testament to the quality of the Elinchrom light.

- ability to modify the light. This can be a HUGE deal and two levels. First, just simply the ability to modify the light using virtually any Elinchrom light modifier (and Elinchrom has a huge range of modifiers and then of course speed rings for third party modifiers). The ability to shape the light can often be more important than the light itself. The 2nd level is that if you are looking for a lighting system, Elinchrom has you covered. I don't need to go out and buy two different beauty dishes (or whatever) for two different light systems. My light modifiers stay the same between indoor and outdoor shooting. This would allow one to recreate the same lighting scenario (consistency).

- Growth potential. Somewhat related to my 2nd point above. If you want a more powerful system, Elinchrom has you covered. Want to shoot with a more powerful light? Or maybe a studio moonlight? Where do you want to take your lighting? With Elinchrom, you have a complete system at your disposal. With Godox, you have a solution.

Now as to whether any of that is worth the substantial cost difference, only the buyer can say. I think it's somewhat clear that Elinchrom is aimed at a different professional than the Godox.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow