Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
A few comparison tests of Sony's new 20mp SLT vs OMD
Apr 29, 2013

I did all the tests against the OMD with 14-150 to give the Sony a chance, shot everything raw, Sony kit lens.

In any event I had bought the SLT for 25p video and I thought amazing DR and 20mp 3:2 ratio, anyway the video iq was pants and the OMD actually matches the Sony 20mp sensor, it might even surpass it but I'd need to get some sharper A mount glass and compare it against better m43 primes to be sure.

Here's a flavour, the SLT has been boxed up and sent back.

Kept chopping his head off with the 3:2 ratio, obviously I've migrated to 4:3!

Hard to see any difference, OMD possibly sharper

SLT was very soft around the eye, where I focussed.

LR4.4 colour rendering was quite nice by default with the Sony, I still think the OMD should be better than it is by default. Shadow pulling and hl retention are about equal, high iso was a little better on the SLT in fact at iso6400, but again some playing with LR would probably level things.

iso800, f8 sony, f6.3 OMD, 36(72)mm on OMD, 45mm on Sony

In Lr you can see tiniest amount of maybe better detail in Sony

Considering the equivalence were the same the Sony seemed to blur the front quite a bit more!

At iso6400 the Sony does appear to retain better colour and blacks seem a bit wayward on the OMD.

Interesting comparison though, but the Sony is definitely a cheap camera, feels cheap, plastic lens mount, hollow sounding, and evf is still below OMD.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow