Lighting up belts for product shots

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Lighting up belts for product shots
In reply to 24Peter, Apr 29, 2013

24Peter wrote:

The biggest challenge will probably be the buckles. Family of angles for your lights is all well and good but for really reflective buckles don't forget to include something to reflect back into them - usually white foam board. Otherwise whatever is in your shooting environment will show up, including the dark recesses of any unlit areas of your studio.

For leather belts, it is easy enough to light them. There is usually a diffuse reflection on the leather so I would use (relatively) large softboxes to create a highlight. Texture may also be important, even for Amazon non-artsy shots. That may required harder lighting.

If the purpose of the lightbox is eliminate a shadow underneath the product, make sure your color temp/WB matches with your strobes. Instead of a lightbox, I usually just use a piece of clear Plexiglas raised off the (white) surface of my shooting table to eliminate shadows. If you are getting unwanted reflections in the Plexiglas add more light under the Plexiglas or use a CP filter.

The hardest thing about product photography is getting the colours of the image to match the real world product. The second hardest thing is reflections.
Personally I would do as you said with the two soft box's first try them both on equal power, then turn one down -1EV and see which image you prefer..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow