Grim future for the camera makers?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
Re: Grim future for the camera makers?
In reply to digitallollygag, Apr 29, 2013

digitallollygag wrote:

For those of you who haven't read it yet, the posts about Apple and Canon from Thom Hogan's website are worth a read:

http://www.bythom.com/

Still, I wonder if some of the decline of "conventional" camera sales as opposed to smartphones is partly because of world economic conditions, or perhaps with people upgrading less what with the "diminishing returns" we're seeing in digital photography.

I see a tough road ahead for the established players (Canon, Nikon) and perhaps even with the m4/3 companies.  When I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago I counted roughly 30 smartphones for every DSLR in use by the tourists.  Surely this hasn't escaped the notice of the execs at Canikon has it?

The decline in sales of "conventional" cameras has to do with market saturation and diminishing returns as respects upgrades to existing equipment, and is totally unrelated to smart phone sales. Smart phones are communication devices, they aren't cameras. Their built in camera functions will never replace dSLR cameras, because they simply aren't the right tool for photography, and will never match the quality of bigger sensors. For social media snaps and such, sure they'll see heavy usage - so what. Try to photograph something that is in motion with your smartphone "camera," and you'll rarely get the shot you were looking for, since you have to wait for the "smart"PHONE to get around to actually taking the picture (by which point the "moment" has passed).

New flash - I have a smart phone, and I didn't buy it to replace my dSLR camera and lenses, or even to replace any meaningful portion of the things I would use my dSLR camera and lenses for. I bought it to replace my old, damaged cell phone (mainly), and to use as...wait for it...a phone (and a mobile internet access device). When I use the camera "feature," I am instantly reminded of how poor a tool a smartphone is for taking pictures.

PK24X36NOW's gear list:PK24X36NOW's gear list
Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow