boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,292Gear list
Like?
Yes, 'a failure to communicate'...
In reply to Ulric, Apr 29, 2013

Ulric wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Thus, I see no reason not to use the word "equivalent" to describe photos that have the same perspective, framing, DOF, shutter speed, and display size even when other elements of IQ are not necessarily the same.

'Equivalent' does not have the narrow meaning that you may prefer it to have.

I had this very conversation only yesterday.
GB: "Addition goes like this: you add two numbers and the result is 5."
U: "What? It depends on the numbers, the result can be anything."
GB: "The numbers are 2 and 3. It says so on my blog."
U: "What if the numbers are 2 and 4?"
GB: "Why am I constantly being misrepresented? The result is 5 because the numbers are 2 and 3!"
U: "Have you considered making up a name for the process of adding these particular numbers, to distinguish from addition in general?"
GB: [googles addition and cuts and pastes definition from online dictionary] "Is there something else you want me to explain?"
U: [goes to bed]

Yes, there does seem to be a disconnect somewhere.  But not like a cultural gap or misunderstanding -- more like trying to communicate with an alien species.

I thought that Joe had agreed to clarifying his pet concept, after a verylarge number of back and forth threads on the OSTF.  Simply changing 'equivalence' to 'equivalent photographs' doesn't seem a huge ask, and makes it a bit clearer what the intent is.  It would be preferable to follow the exposure v total light path to get to the basic idea that 'more light is better, all else being equal', simply because everyone will tend to understand that intuitively.  (Well, perhaps people using high-power ND filters to block out that awful light that is ruining their lovely photographs of milky waterfalls and speeding snails may not get it so quickly.  )

Instead, he seems to have decided to roll back to "There is only one possible interpretation for 'equivalence', or you're an idiot!" and try it on the MicroFT forum.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow