"Equivalence" demonstrated: Canon 5D and Panasonic GX1

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,287Gear list
Like?
Re: I agree !
In reply to pidera, Apr 29, 2013

pidera wrote:

Yes I agree with your observations that the g7 results look slightly better and that this is probably due to the camera and lens operating at settings for which it is optimised (unlike the FF setup at iso 1600 and f/22).

This does of course point to a likely slight to serious 'mismatch' issue when assuming that 'equivalent photographs' or 'the same total light' will turn out in a real situation exactly as predicted.  If the sensor sizes are greatly different then the assumptions probably break down quickly.

After thinking about this a bit, it is surprising to me that the G7 does so well, optically.  This makes me suspicious of software 'corrections'.  It does appear that the 5D shot may have more detail while being noisier.

Perhaps the trick in closing this gap in a convincing manner is in the image processing.  As time goes on, we can expect sensor capability to plateau and optics to be pared down as much as feasible.  More processing power will lead to manufacturer's moving to (likely competing) 'fake' modifications to the captured data.  Some of the DOF effects available in software now are pretty convincing, as an example.

Maybe in five years time the arguments on these forums will be about which manufacturer's processing engine and AI scene recognition optimisations are the best, and tawdry stuff like sensors and optics will be largely ignored. 

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow