Isn't it amazing......

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevenikon
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: Isn't it amazing......
In reply to fotolopithecus, Apr 29, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

That a camera scarcely two, and a half years old is referred to as the aging D7000, or described as getting long in the tooth on testing sites.  I once thought the roughly five year wait between film slr's was quite a long time, but in hindsight it seems just about right.

The older you get the faster time goes, but a camera less than three years old being compared to a dinosaur, seems ridiculous on the face of it. Of course I understand why camera makers promote this sort of thinking, but are we just on their treadmill in search of the Holy grail, which will never be found, but is always just around the next corner?

I'm always amused to read posts from people who state things like " I use to have a D7000, and loved it, and am now shooting with a D5200, but wonder if I should upgrade to the D7100." Ancient history those D7000 days, and OMG! I'm not sure if I was born when the D90 was released.

Who's perception of time is valid here? Is two years a really long time, or is it as it seems to me very recent to the point that I feel like my D7000 is just getting broken in. I told a friend of mine the other day whom I had recommended the D90 to about three years ago, that it was time for him to upgrade to the D7100. ARE YOU NUTS, I JUST GOT THE THING ON YOUR ADVISE!

Lol.... I reversed course, and told him I was just kidding.

An excellent point, if only our heads would rule our hearts for once but the Nikon marketing people do their best to ensure it stays the other way round!

By the same token, we are led to believe that kit lenses and consumer glass do not bring out the best in the new high density pixel sensors and any user error / camera shake will be more evident.

Not only are we being enticed to update bodies at every release, we have to ensure our glass is up to it too!

Remember when Nikon once stressed 12 megapixels was the optimum megapixel density for aps-c cameras?

If only they stuck to that limit and concentrated on improving the low light sensitivity of the sensors.

No more huge file sizes and your glass would always be good enough.

But Nikon would not make money and they are a business first, a camera maker second.

I guess time and technology waits for no one..... and our bank accounts will never be healthy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow