BHS Portrait - 600mm (1 img)

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270
Like?
Re: @ Chris Mak...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 29, 2013

Thans a lot Ron!

I'll pass on the 2xtc then, especially as I've been getting very good results lately with the Sigma 1.4tc. I'll just have to work on my stealth ability to get the birds to fill the frame. A friend of mine claims he often sees birds from really close distance on walks, he tells me I have to learn to be invisible to the birds. I wouldn't know what he means though...

brandrx wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Chris Mak wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Bighorn sheep (BHS) portrait. Handheld Pentax K-5 + Sigma 2X APO EX DG + Sigma 300mm f2.8 APO EX DG, lens set to f4, 1/640s, ISO200

Hello Ron,

You seem to get some very good IQ with the Sigma 2.0tc and the sigma prime. You have gotten me interested in the Sigma 2x for use with the Sigma 500/4.5. I had more or less written the 2.0tc off, because I felt the IQ would suffer too much, but I now am having very good results with the 1.4tc, and your samples leave me in doubt. Did you try the 2.0tc with the 500/4.5? Is that also as good? Would be wonderful to have 1500mm eq. as an option.

Hi Chris,

I suggest you hold off for awhile for the 500/4.5 + 2X teleconverter. I am still in the testing mode of mine. I havn't had very good conditions to do my tests yet. My first tests, in not so good conditions, are not too good. I hope to get to it soon.

Chris,

Today I tested the K-5 + Sigma 500/4.5 + 2X against some real targets, a bird on a wire at about 40 feet, and Bighorn sheep at 100 to 200 feet. I tried the Sigma 2X APO EX DG and the Tamron-F 2X PZ_Af. The Tamron TC has slightly less magnification than the Sigma TC. With the Tamron 2X attached I could manual focus the lens. With the Sigma 2X attached I could not manual focus the lens.

Bird on a wire - The Tamron 2X would autofocus and indicate focus lock but the image was terribly out of focus. The Sigma 2X would not lock onto the bird and would just rack end to end.

Bighorn sheep - Both of the 2X TC's would autofocus and indicate locked focus but the resulting images were terribly out of focus.

My verdict - Sigma 500/4.5 + any 2X teleconverter is NOT recommended by me.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow