What is your black and white workflow?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Questions thread
curiouspeter
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: What is your black and white workflow?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Apr 29, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Currently I use the Monochrome mode in SPP.

The reason is that there is a lot of variance in the output depending on the color used in terms of detail and grain, and also the noise reduction is I think better even at low levels on higher ISO files.

You can still use tools like SilverFX after to enhance contrast or do other adjustments.  But the actual monochrome conversion from SPP differs enough that it is a starting point.

The SPP Monochrome mode is surprisingly good and it seems to be the easiest option. Turning down the red channel appears to further tame the noise.

That would require spending more time in SPP, which is really not too bad. It has not crashed on me yet. Knock on wood.

Iridient Developer + Dfine + Silver Efex is also pretty good, but that takes more work. However, it is possible to selectively increase/decrease the strength of noise reduction.

I am VERY sensitive to noise in smooth areas like skies and ponds. I also hate to see foliage turning into mush. Worse yet, I loathe using adjustment brushes. Control Points in Dfine is just right for me.

Kendall, have you tried using a "real" red/orange filter? I wonder if giving the red channel more exposure (without blowing the green and the blue) will produce better result (e.g. darker skies).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow