Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Re: "Pie in the Sky Drive" out here...
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 29, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Now I basically buy that. If you think about it, touch screens are here to stay. All the touchpad does is replicate a touch screen next to your keyboard. To me that is far more 'intuitive' to a 'desktop user' than using an actual 'touchscreen'.

The big problem I see with this is that most people who need a desktop to do their work (i.e., "content producers" as opposed to "content consumers" as was described earlier) need a pointing device with high accuracy.   I find text editing with a touchscreen very frustrating because of the need to do a two- or three-step each time you want to select text - a mouse is far, far easier to use for purposes like this.

And if you need the mouse (and presumably a keyboard), it seems like a third input device is going to be in "three's a crowd" territory.  Perhaps there's a good way to arrange them so as to be convenient, but I'm skeptical.  20 years of mouse usage gave me serious neck pains and it took me a lot of of trial and error to discover that the cure was to put the mouse underneath a raised keyboard (avoids having to extend my arm too far to the side).  I'm not sure how I'd be able to accommodate a touch screen.

Good point. So what are the alternatives.

I have tried a 'touch mouse' and I find them horrible - you seem to lose the accuracy of a mouse and it is too small for gestures to be easy. Of course that might be my problem rather than the mouse.

What I do see as an alternative is a keyboard with a large built in touchpad - presumably replacing the number keys on a large keyboard. Actually Logitech already makes such a product.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/Wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26

Still I didnt buy it because at US$40 I bet the touchpad simply doesnt work that great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow