7-14mm Struggles

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: 7-14mm lens flare
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Apr 29, 2013

This lens is prone to flare. If you point it towards the sun you'll get flare. It's more likely to occur when the sun is up at the corner of the frame at the short part of the hood where the cut-out is.

Stephans advice has worked for me many times. You're trying to shade the sun. I use my hand a lot but you can do this easily with a paper fan on a stick or a small reflector disc that comes on a spring ring. They fold up small and they're somewhat flexible so they're easy to carry. Anything that you can hold out there to create shade will work.

If you can't shade the sun without getting your hand in the frame, then you can't avoid the flare. You'll have to change your point of view. In your straight up tree shot, if you move to block the direct sunlight with one of the trees the flare would dissappear.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow