Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Torn between Min 500mm Reflex and Min 100-400mm APO
In reply to arie, Apr 29, 2013

arie wrote:

I've really wanted to try the 500mm reflex because it has a lot of fans and it's got decent AF and IQ in good lighting. The only con I can see is the rather distracting bokeh. I've seen a lot of nice shots that look great except for the background that looks like crap! (that's a technical term)

I already have the Min 100-300mm APO and like it. From what I gather, the 400mm is even a little better in terms of sharpness and IQ, with the con of lense creep when carried. I've seen the lense extended and it goes out pretty far! But the bokeh is decent, and a lot better in terms of smoothness than the reflex.

My camera is an A77 at this point. Guess I could just get the reflex and see if I like it enough to keep it. They both cost about the same on feebay.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

I owned the 100-400 at one point and it was a decent lens -- if I had to choose among the three you mentioned that would be the one for me. However, I replaced it with the 70-400G and the improvement was stunning (albeit requiring a lot more cash up front ). If at all possible, that's the direction I would suggest.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIF?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow