Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,300
Like?
Re: Yeah...
In reply to gollywop, Apr 29, 2013

gollywop wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

gollywop wrote:

And, although the spaces are based on integer values, processing is done with floating point numbers.

In processors like RPP, Rawtheraee, and PhotoNinja, yes.  In ACR/PS, I don't think so.  Adobe still uses integer arithmetic as far as I know.  But I'd certainly be willing to be guided to documentation that says otherwise.

I would be surprised if it were otherwise. It is standard practice to map 0-255 to 0-1, it is just much easier to algorithmically process that way.

Surprise is indeed fun. But I'm waiting for documentation that supports the surprise.

Meanwhile normalizations do not require floating point.

It just may well be the way I have always dealt with it. But I am pretty sure I have heard of others doing it this way, perhaps from Eric Chan.

For me it has to do with closure. Integers are not closed under division. (Addition, subtraction, and multiplication of integers result in integers, but not so with division.) So to be consistant, it would be silly to do some operations with integer arithmetic, and make exceptions when division is needed.

If I have time, I will look for sources.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow