Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,220
Like?
Aperture 3 Prints Look Worse Than HP Printer Managed Prints
Apr 29, 2013

I'm trying to understand why Aperture is botching the print job while the HP software gets it spot-on. Theoretically the Aperture color-managed prints should be better than the HP software-managed prints.

My hardware: Mac Mini and 10.8.3. HP Photosmart 8450 printer. NEC 2490WUXi2 display. I am using the stock NEC display profile. Subjectively and using Web-based comparison tests it looks very good. It's not hardware-calibrated but for my needs it is quite adequate.
When using Aperture 3 "Printer Managed" color management is automatically disabled. I select the proper HP paper profile. The image looks good on the display. The print looks not so good... Too red, somewhat dark and colors in the ballpark.
When using "Printer Managed" the prints match the display. 
I would say that my test image is challenging to reproduce: skintones, light blonde hair, deep red/purple color in the clothes.

I am wondering what variable may be adversely affecting the Aperture-managed prints. The Aperture settings appear to be correct. If it is a problem with the display profile one would think that all prints would be negatively affected. I'm hoping that someone with more experience will suggest checking a particular variable based on what I have described.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow