Monitor Calibration

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,216Gear list
Like?
Re: Monitor Calibration
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 29, 2013

You should be fine with any of the three color calibration devices you mention - all of them allow you to color calibrate multiple monitors.

You should look up the specs of your monitors to find out if they are TN or IPS monitors.  You want to use an IPS monitor for your photo work since the brightness, contrast, and colors change much less as you change your angle of view.

If you don't know what type of monitors you have you can simply look up at the screen from a position very close to the bottom of the monitor (you can use a mirror).  TN screens will show a dramatically changed image, frequently looking a bit like a color negative image.

Don't expect to get exactly the same colors on each of your three monitors.  The colors will be close after calibration but unless the monitors are identical brands and models it is hard to get an exact match.

You have more software than many and your plan to upgrade from PSE to CSx only when needed is a good one.  Personally I don't think you really need to use DPP since you have Lightroom and PSE.

Lightroom will be where you start and finish post processing so it is vital that you learn how to use it well.  Be sure to set up a good image storage and index scheme before you start using Lightroom.

B&H - Tim Grey - Organizing Photos with Adobe Lightroom - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Adobe Lightroom 4 - YouTube

Staying Organized with Adobe Lightroom 4 | Hammon Photography Photo Blog

B&H - Jared Platt - The Ultimate Lightroom 4 Experience - YouTube

Luminous Landscape-Michael Reichmann & Seth Resnick-Assets Managment-Where the #%! are my Pictures

Canon printers are fine but I suspect that most professionals use Epson.  In either case expect to pay a minimum of $600 for a professional level printer.  I am not a professional so I use a lower cost printer for up to 8"x10" and have payed for professional printing of a few larger images.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow