Native/legacy lens advice

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Questions thread
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325
Like?
Re: Native/legacy lens advice
In reply to QuakeO, Apr 29, 2013

QuakeO wrote:

As newcomer to the 4/3 system I welcome some advice. I recently picked up an e-pl5 with the kit lens and the 40-150 zoom (got a decent deal locally). So far, I couldn't be happier with the results.

I asked my father to dig up his old ME-super and see what lenses he still has. I was thrilled to hear that this summer I will get my hands on a super takumar 28mm 3.5, a pentax 50mm 1.2,

You may not realise this, but that lens alone is very valuable and would fund a considerable purchase of m4/3 gear. They go for up to $800 at KEH, and rarely show up on ebay. Sadly, the one I have used here is buggered and full of fungus. Of itself, it isn't very good on m4/3 - you'll seldom use it wide open, and it is very large and very heavy - to no gain, since you will get just as good results from a slower lens with the same aperture that you will end up using on the 1.2 anyway.

and a pentax 135mm 3.5, all in good condition. My questions are as follows:

1. With a good manual 50mm, would you still recommend the Zuiko 45mm 1.8 (going for $350 until 11 May)?

Definitely. The m4/3 lens is small, light, easy to use and has better image quality. The only reason to use a 50mm legacy lens is if it is a macro lens, or you particularly wan to use MF or want the "look" (as opposed to look) of the lens (and some of them do render very nice images).

Also great for MF when used for video.

2. What differences should I expect in terms of image quality and feel between the manual 135mm and the native AF zoom at the tele end? Should I invest in an extra adapter to keep on the 135mm?

I wouldn't bother. I have several 135/200 legacy lenses, and only really used them until decent m4/3 lenses showed up. Even the budget 40-150 m.zuiko is better than most of them, certainly better and easier to use than the Takumar.

Different opinions are all welcome! Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow