SEL20F28 impresses and puzzles at the same time

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,346Gear list
Like?
Re: I returned my 20 pancake for suspected decentering
In reply to BigG30, Apr 28, 2013

BigG30 wrote:

I have received and returned my 20mm Pancake because I suspected it was decentered. The reason for this is that I found the extreme corners to be a blurry mess at f/2.8 at the bottom of the image and better at the top of the image. I have asked blue_skies to test this to see if his copy is the same as the one I had. I will post the test shots I posted soon.

I am not sure that these pictures qualify, but these are two quick JPG snaps that shows the far corners at the edge of the DOF.

The first shot was taken with the camera upside down, the second shot was taken with the camera upright. I did manually focus both shots.

You can crop the four corners, I see no difference between the two shots (aside from handheld quirks.

At f/2.8 there is extreme (really very extreme) corner softening, as earlier reported, but it hardly distracts from the image. Stop down and it goes away.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow