Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
Monitor Calibration
Apr 28, 2013

I am an experienced amateur photographer who is just at the beginning stages (finally!) of learning how to do post-processing and printing with digital editing software.

From reading some of the threads here, I know that monitor calibration is probably something I should do before I do too much editing. So I am asking for some basic help with calibrating my monitors.

I use (primarily for my day job, but also for photography) a three monitor set-up. I am probably going to upgrade my desktop computer and graphics card soon, but not the monitors themselves. I think I am also going to buy a Canon Pixma Pro-10 printer. The monitors are three Samsung 2443BWT-1 24-Inch 1920 x 1200 LCD Monitors.

I see DataColor Spyder4 (Pro or Elite, not Express) or X-rite ColorMunki Display recommended a couple of times. I also know from looking on Amazon that each of these companies make lots of variations of their calibration tools.

What would you recommend as a calibration tool and as a process for someone like me? My editing software at this point is Lightroom 4, Photoshop Elements 11, the Efex suite, and Photo Ninja. I also have (but have not tried to use) Canon's DPP. Ultimately, in a year or two, I may try to move from Elements to Photoshop itself.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Peter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow