Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
disc checking software
Apr 28, 2013

I have been having problem with my Windows 8 backup software. I have been using Acronis for many years without any problem until their latest release. When I noticed that I was having intermittent freezes when running Windows I checked the Windows Event Viewer and found that there were problems in reading from specific sectors. The OS kept trying to access the information and, when it finally was able to successfully read, my system returned to normal.

I thought I would back the system up and restore it to a different disc, but I don't know what file the sector belongs to and, in any case, when I try to back it up using Acronis the operation fails.

As if this was not bad enough my attempt to restore the last two system images I made (again with Acronis) failed although this time the software told me that it could not read from the disc. Since it did not tell me which disc was causing the errors I ran the Windows error checking routine (Properties -> Tools) on both the system disc and the backup disc. In neither case did it report a disc error. And, to add to the mystery, I used the Acronis verify tool and found that my backups were valid. Valid, but apparently I can not use them. I could not restore the backup to my current laptop disc or to a different disc I put into the laptop to replace my system disc.

This seems odd to me. Acronis will not read from at least one sector when doing a backup or restore (different sectors, but in neither case does the tool tell me which disc is causing the problem) but Windows keeps telling me that there is no problem with either of my discs or the files on them. So I was wondering if there is a third party disc checking tool that would report on any disc errors it found and tell me what files are involved.

A second question is whether or not there is another disc imaging app to use rather than Acronis. I have used Norton Ghost in the past but Norton no longer sells Ghost (it is now marketed by Symantec and costs a lot more than Acronis) and I have no experience with the new backup tool sold by Norton (which is also a lot more than Acronis). I need a good backup tool, but want to make disc images for backups rather than a series of data backups, but I don't want to spend a small fortune.

I have been using Acronis for many years now and never had any problems before, but I am running out of patience with it. Customer support is almost non-existent and, as nice as the interface is, it is of limited use if I cannot backup my system or restore from an existing backup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow