Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Small/phenomenal manual legacy prime lens
In reply to mgn2, Apr 28, 2013

mgn2 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Check http://www.top35mm.com for Russian lenses. You will find Jupiter there - search for M39 mount. (You can get an M39 adapter or convert to M mount with screw-on bajonet ring). Also check ebay for these lenses. I think $100 for the 50mm Sonnar should satisfy. Most other lenses are cheaper.

Check keh, amazon, ebay and craigslist for CG45. Price for an EX+ copy is around $450 or so.

The Metabones adapter is best, but also the most expensive. You have to order it directly from their website.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks after looking at some sample pics of the Jupiter it seems like it won't be quite as sharp as the CG45, and probably hard for me to work with. The Zeiss lens on the other hand seems to produce some amazingly sharp pictures in the right hands. I've been playing around with the Minolta Rokkor 45mm F2 the last few days and find MF to ba real joy on my NEX-6. I think I'm going to get the Cf45 from Adorama. Before I pull the trigger, anything else I should look at in the Zeiss or Leica options under $1000 (I feel very comfortable with MF already, and think its worth paying up for high quality glass I could potentially use forever)?

While Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 T* is sharp lens, bokeh is not its strength. That is true for most planar design lenses.

I personnaly like more Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f1.5 C ZM. Soft wide open, with most aberrations uncorrected for smooth and unique oof area rendering, very sharp when stooped down to f4 and above. Sony SEL 50 f1.8, would be however my recommendation. If FF lens is not the must for you, SEL 50 is an outstanding and reasonable priced lens.

A little secret of mine - if you want small lenses with planty of character, (and quite rare), check Takumars 58mm f/2.4 or Takumar 58 f2.

The first one is Heliar design and probably widest lens of that design, while the second is Sonnar. Those two Takumars are not sharp wide open, but they both have unique rendering and bokeh. Adapters are rather big, but both lenses are in fact very small. Smaller than already small above mentioned CZ Sonnar 50 f/1.5 C ZM.

It is important to make priorities, as there is no "perfect" or "best" lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow