New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004Gear list
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Quadra. What do you think?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 28, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

oops!!! Yeah well spotted and insightful; I did indeed mean the Quadra.

As for power, you are correct; there is mention of a forthcoming 360W version which I guess would challenge the Elinchrom Quadra in terms of power output. However, I was really thinking of a consideration the feature  set of this new Godox kit (as obviously, the current kit is no match for the Quadra in terms of output)

My initial impression is that this system has a lot more to offer than the Elinchrom, which I have been lusting after for ages. I see no benefits for the Elinchrom over this new system other than (1) it has a powerful modelling light which can be used for video  and (2) the ability to control the lights from an iPhone, (3) the ability to "learn" the TTL flash sequence/timing of various TTL flash systems so that you can mix in TTL with the manual off-camera Elinchrom flash and of course (3) brand recognition and reputation.

I was at first skeptical about this new flash system but after reading the entire review, I am beginning to lean towards it as it seems to have been extremely well thought out.

I am not entirely convinced that the benefits I have outlined in favour of the Elinchrom system are that great considering the massive price difference.

But then, I own neither system so that's why I posted here; in the hope I might get some different insights.

As for how this system stacks up against the likes of the Quantum system, I am still pondering that one.

Regards,

plevyadophy

P.S.

oops! sorry. I nearly forgot my manners. Thanks for providing that link to the Flickr group. I will go have a look.

Control of the Quadra pack (or any light for that matter) from an iphone/ipad vs. the Skyport Speed unit is basically a toy offering. The modeling light can be nice (especially as the sun goes down) but a penlight works wonders as well. The fact that the built in optical slave can learn preflash is nice too. I'm not sure if the Godox/Cheetah unit you're looking at has an optical slave (given that it's got proprietary wireless, it's kind of a side issue).

Overall it does seem well thought out (if I didn't have the Quadras I'd be interested) fairly light -- even more portable if you use one of the smaller battery packs -- and if you really need a bigger light modifiers I'm guessing you can mount it to one of those adapters for speedlights to use Bowens mount modifiers, use the  Lastolite system, or any of the umbrella style softboxes that have you mount the speedlight inside the  modifier and fire into the umbrella, with a diffuser on the front.

It sounds like your research and needs are leading you to this system. I hope the link I gave you helps as well.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow