Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
BigG30
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
My E20 at f/2.8, decentered example
In reply to wcdennis, Apr 28, 2013

wcdennis wrote:

Blue Skies,

I think your test methods are perfectly valid.

You mentioned it already, otherwise I wouldn't open this can of worms. I'm thinking that maybe your copy of the E20 is dcentered. I know that folks don't like to think about sample variation, but you may have gotten a bad copy. Wide angle lenses are particularly prone to mis-alignment and my gut feeling is that Sony would have designed this lens to better compete with the Sigma (especially since they are selling it for $350). Have you done the brick wall test to see if the edges are worse on one side than the other? Yours is the first serious look at the E20 performance that I could find. Will someone else who owns one please post some photos for us to compare.

Cameron

Here's a quick test shot that I took when I first got my pancake. Nothing special about this shot at all, I took it not long after unboxing the lens to ensure it was working as expected. I noticed the bottom corners were "mushy", so I took a very similar shot with the camera upside down to see if the blurry corners followed (which they did!). I returned this copy.

Image resized to 1500 to make it more manageable. As you can see, this lens is otherwise great wide open. Pay attention to the crop in the top right of the image which I have highlighted with a red square.

100% crop, left side is the camera normal with the right side with the camera inverted. As suspected, the bottom corners were rubbish. The top corners were perfectly acceptable for "wide open" corners I felt, this shot would normally be stopped down but this is a test shot to show the decentering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow