Re: Yeah...
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 28, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

gollywop wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

gollywop wrote:

I've got a number of sunset shots with saturated oranges that I've processed with both sRGB and Adobe RGB, and the differences are quite noticeable from my Canon PixmaPro 9000 II (particularly when using Red River papers).  The sRGB results are dull and disappointing.

Is there any advantage for skintones (black, brown, white/ pink and yellowish) using larger than sRGB color spaces? Or sRGB is sufficient for skin tones?

sRGB is fine for skin tones; they fall within the gamut.

Indeed, sRGB may be preferable if you're working with 8-bit files. Because sRGB is a narrower space than Adobe RGB, but uses the same number of values (256) for each part of the RGB triple, the "distance" between colors is smaller with sRGB and so you can get a finer color gradation.  However, if you're working with 16-bit files, this is a non-issue.

...this is something I've always wondered about.  Whenever you expand the range of colors, you necessarily decrease the distance between colors, for a given bit depth.  So, the question, then, is when the range of colors matters more than the gradations of color, and vice-versa, as a function of existing colorspaces.

The simple solution, of course, is to use 16-bits.

I take that as a given!

That does fine even with ProPhoto RGB.

So 16 bits per channel gives at least enough color separation in PPRGB?  Is the implication, then, that 16 bits is overkill of less expansive color spaces like sRGB?

Well, there's more to it than that – as you well know, there always is.  The real advantage of 16-bit images is the ability of the colors to survive tonal manipulations without posterization.  This would apply equally well to sRGB as to a broader space.  I doubt you can ever consider the potential of 16-bits overkill, but I suspect, even with sRGB you can consider the potential of 8-bits to be underkill.

Here's a nifty demonstration of the "survivability factor"

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow