New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Quadra. What do you think?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Apr 28, 2013
 Nikonparrothead wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

The Cheetach/Godox CL180/AD180

Read this very well written and extremely detailed review on this new kit, and (especially you more experienced photographers) let us all have your thoughts.

I am hoping some of the more experienced might be able to provide some additional insight as to whether or not this kit is useful or flaws that may have been overlooked by the reviewer.

http://flashhavoc.com/cheetah-cl180-godox-ad180-review/comment-page-1/#comment-12574

Regards,

plevyadophy

Hmm it's essentially a direct competitor of the Q flash so in that sense it should work fine. I'm taking the leap that you meant to compare it to the 400-watt Ranger Quadra and not the 1100-watt Ranger.

I could drone on for paragraphs -- full disclaimer, I own two Ranger Quadra packs in addition to a variety of monolights -- but ultimately you need to ask yourself whether the 180 watts will fit your needs. If you need closer to 400 watts, you may want to wait until the AD360 comes out. I believe Godox is more readily distributed in the UK vs. the US, where Cheetah would be the preferred distributor. From what I've read, there are some kinks that may already be worked out with respect to HSS.

Here's a Flickr group thread discussion (started by the Flashhavoc guy) that also includes a review from a Spanish photographer.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157632622595384/?search=Cheetah

Hopefully those photographers currently using the units on that site can help you some.

Good luck with your choice, as long as suits your needs, you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

oops!!! Yeah well spotted and insightful; I did indeed mean the Quadra.

As for power, you are correct; there is mention of a forthcoming 360W version which I guess would challenge the Elinchrom Quadra in terms of power output. However, I was really thinking of a consideration the feature  set of this new Godox kit (as obviously, the current kit is no match for the Quadra in terms of output)

My initial impression is that this system has a lot more to offer than the Elinchrom, which I have been lusting after for ages. I see no benefits for the Elinchrom over this new system other than (1) it has a powerful modelling light which can be used for video  and (2) the ability to control the lights from an iPhone, (3) the ability to "learn" the TTL flash sequence/timing of various TTL flash systems so that you can mix in TTL with the manual off-camera Elinchrom flash and of course (3) brand recognition and reputation.

I was at first skeptical about this new flash system but after reading the entire review, I am beginning to lean towards it as it seems to have been extremely well thought out.

I am not entirely convinced that the benefits I have outlined in favour of the Elinchrom system are that great considering the massive price difference.

But then, I own neither system so that's why I posted here; in the hope I might get some different insights.

As for how this system stacks up against the likes of the Quantum system, I am still pondering that one.

Regards,

plevyadophy

P.S.

oops! sorry. I nearly forgot my manners. Thanks for providing that link to the Flickr group. I will go have a look.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow