Looking for criticism on my composition.

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Photos thread
jbf
jbf
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,097
Like?
Re: Looking for criticism on my composition.
In reply to Whalligeo, Apr 28, 2013

Whalligeo wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Lots of good ideas except I really prefer the lighting, contrast and color of the child's face in the original over your crop. I thought the original lighting was exquisite. Maybe bringing out the eyes a little bit, but that's it would work for me, but I was pretty satisfied. I liked the pinker look and the deeper loop lighting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Same thing without the curves. I think you have a point

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.
HooRoo!

Since we're talking about composition, it's important to mention balance.  In the original photo, the stuff on the counter provides some balance to the baby/chair/tray/toys that are placed in the bottom right corner.  The counter clutter is visually unappealing yet draws attention as the balancing element.  This version is less cluttered but it is a little unbalanced towards the bottom right corner.  Bjorn's version has the best balance but the out of focus, cut off blue box becomes more visually problematic.  Somewhere between Bjorn's version and this one is probably the best you can do without reshooting.  I'd also do something to take some attention away from the stripe top middle.

Regardless, it's a very sweet moment,

jbf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow