New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Apr 28, 2013
Daniel Lauring wrote:

Not better, but certainly a better value.  The question is if it's worth the weight savings over a more powerful monolight or the 1-1.5 stops of light over a speedlight.  It falls in the middle with no TTL, but high speed synch.  I wonder if they could add TTL later...since they can communicate power levels to the light?

I'm tempted, but $600 bucks is some serious coin for something Chinese that hasn't been on the market very long.  Reliability is a big question mark.

As for power, there is mention of a forthcoming 360W version which I guess would challenge the Elinchrom Ranger.

My initial impression is that this system has a lot more to offer than the Elinchrom, which I have been lusting after for ages. I see no benefits for the Elinchrom over this new system other than (1) it has a powerful modelling light which can be used for video  and (2) the ability to control the lights from an iPhone, (3) the ability to "learn" the TTL flash sequence/timing of various TTL flash systems so that you can mix in TTL with the manual off-camera Elinchrom flash and of course (3) brand recognition and reputation.

I was at first skeptical about this new flash system but after reading the entire review, I am beginning to lean towards it as it seems to have been extremely well thought out.

I am not entirely convinced that the benefits I have outlined in favour of the Elinchrom system are that great considering the massive price difference.

As for how this system stacks up against the like of the Quantum system, I am still pondering that one.

Regards,

plevyadophy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow