WARNING!!! 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 Read before installing!

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 is ok
In reply to DigiMatt, Apr 28, 2013

DigiMatt wrote:

I have installed 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 and this is not something I would normally do but here were my reasons:

1. It came from Canon and I got it directly from the original person whoose camera had been serviced by Canon.

2. 7 month wait

3. many, many reports of successful installs on the various photo and video forums.

4. I had the MD5 sum of the firmware file to check my copy to insure it wasn't corrupted.

I have a 3rd party battery (Photive brand from Amazon) that still works but now gives me the warning message. Its not that big of a deal because this battery never did act right in my 5D3. Prior to 1.2.1 this battery would often make the battery level indicator blink rapidly and the battery level would erroneously report 100%. After the camera self power off and a restart or taking a picture this battery would act normal most of the time.

So... I don't blame Canon for making the firmware report flakey battery operations. THIS move will probably force 3rd party battery manufacturers to produce better quality and properly reporting batteries.

You want to be mad at Canon and rage for awhile, well go ahead. I'll be enjoying the best camera I have ever owned that is now even better after this firmware update.

Buy 3rd party batteries that have enough of the correct electronics built in.  Just get ones known to work with the 6D and you are probably fine.   I already have one branded STK to try for my incoming 6D and got rid of my non reporting ones.  The non reporting ones were always very flaky on battery level information anyways.  Most likely their implementation of battery level was crude at best.  And yes my old 5Dmk2 could easily shut down in mid operations which might not be good vs the Canon brand may reserve or restrict operations based on remaining battery levels.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow