I'm going to ignore all the D600 Complaints and buy one

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Same here ... Just ordered a refurb from Adorama, with a refurbed 24-120 f4
In reply to jY h, Apr 28, 2013

Decided to sell my D800, Nikon 24-70, and 70-200 VR II, and replacing it with a D600 and 24-120 f4. $2,700, free shipping and no tax.
As a "hobbyest", my interest and need for the D800 was prompted by my daughter's theater and dance. I found that doing the photography for her theater company and performing arts troupe a great way to get involved with her activities in a way that as a dad that can be hard to do. I also found that I liked low natural light photography, street and candids over things like wildlife or landscapes.
But by daughter is graduating high school in June, and will be going away to college. She's not majoring in musical theater, so she will probably get involved in performing arts for fun here and there.  
I have also found that for many low light pictures, when movement is not involved, I want more DOF than 2.8, and often move up a few stops when ever I can. So I'm thinking the D800 and f2.8 lenses is overkill. I never use the 70-200 outside of theater.  Don't want a P&S, and I've been carrying my D700, now D800, and a 24-70 f2.8 (and before that too many Canon film and digitals to mention, most recent a 5D and Canon 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's), everywhere.
So while a D600 is a trade off, I'm thinking it's fine for my new needs. With a 24-120 it's a smaller and lighter kit, delivers images with IQ on just about on par with the D800, and better than any other DSLR except the D800. The D600 AF and metering will be adequate, and the 24-120 seems reasonably close to the 24-70 up 70, with the extra reach when I need it. But the 24-70 lived in my camera, so above 70 is just a "nice to have".
Cheating as well ... also looking at getting a Sigma 35 f1.4. 
This seems to be a great alternative for travel, family events, and just walking around. I was seriously considering the Sony RX1, which is a terrific camera. But with the D600 I get something that is nearly as portable, with better AF, buit in view finder, and lens choices.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow