Canon 5D mark III in street photography

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Dave Seeley
Contributing MemberPosts: 779
Like?
Re: Canon 5D mark III in street photography
In reply to Dan Marchant, Apr 28, 2013

Dan Marchant wrote:

Only if you actually point it at the subject.

As others have said the 5DII is a great camera. You need to upgrade your technique before you upgrade your equipment. Look through the viewfinder, frame your shot, focus and then shoot.

But I believe that he OP was thinking hipshots, meaning, no viewfinder or lcd.  It's an odd technique but potentially necessary for stealth shooting.  I did some of it, collecting reference shots for an illustration of cops, so went looking for cops to photograph from a few feet away.  Got my pulse rate up for sure.

The notion of this kind of stealth street photography is relatively new to me, but I am curious about it.  The silent shooting mode of the 5Diii would also be very welcome in this context, but the fact that it's a full dslr body is inherently an attention grabber.  Small format mirrorless might be a better choice, because the casual person on the street doesn't immediately assume you're out to shoot "serious" pictures, but these cameras are delivering awesome IQ for the comparatively tiny format.

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/
current kit: 5DmkIII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L II, 24-105/4L, 70-200 is II/2.8L II, 70-300/4.0-5.6L is, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 2x III extender, 1.4x III extender, 8x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow