New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,205Gear list
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 28, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

The Cheetach/Godox CL180/AD180

Read this very well written and extremely detailed review on this new kit, and (especially you more experienced photographers) let us all have your thoughts.

I am hoping some of the more experienced might be able to provide some additional insight as to whether or not this kit is useful or flaws that may have been overlooked by the reviewer.

http://flashhavoc.com/cheetah-cl180-godox-ad180-review/comment-page-1/#comment-12574

Regards,

plevyadophy

Hmm it's essentially a direct competitor of the Q flash so in that sense it should work fine. I'm taking the leap that you meant to compare it to the 400-watt Ranger Quadra and not the 1100-watt Ranger.

I could drone on for paragraphs -- full disclaimer, I own two Ranger Quadra packs in addition to a variety of monolights -- but ultimately you need to ask yourself whether the 180 watts will fit your needs. If you need closer to 400 watts, you may want to wait until the AD360 comes out. I believe Godox is more readily distributed in the UK vs. the US, where Cheetah would be the preferred distributor. From what I've read, there are some kinks that may already be worked out with respect to HSS.

Here's a Flickr group thread discussion (started by the Flashhavoc guy) that also includes a review from a Spanish photographer.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157632622595384/?search=Cheetah

Hopefully those photographers currently using the units on that site can help you some.

Good luck with your choice, as long as suits your needs, you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow