Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,734Gear list
Like?
Where is the Official EOS 5D MkIII 1.2.1 Firmware
Apr 28, 2013

It's April 28th and we have all patiently waited for this firmware to be released by Canon.  There are only two more days left in this month and yet no firmware from Canon on the official web sites. Copies of the new firmware have started to appear on serviced units. Does one get the impression that Canon really didn't want to release this version with the promised improvements any sooner than at the last possible moment? That the release date had nothing to do with how ready the new firmware was? In my mind, it seems like this firmware has been purposely delayed for whatever reason Canon decided. I do hope after all this waiting that it better be fault/bug free and that sufficient testing and soaking have improved the operational performance, given  such a long delay. I guess we'll all know in a few days.

In the meantime as we have read in this site, the unofficial firmware has a nasty side effect of not liking third party batteries. Although using third party batteries in a very expensive piece of hardware may be a poor cost saving choice, this functionality seems to be compromised with the new firmware release. I wonder if this was deliberately done by Canon or simply due to the shortcomings of a reverse engineered battery system? Has other, more serious functionality also been lost or seriously compromised for third party items like lens or flash controller units? I guess time will tell...

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow